Find Deck Staining in Lakewood, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What is the best weather for staining a deck?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot or colder temperatures can affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much moisture can prolong drying times and heighten the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that it stays dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What prep is suggested prior to staining a deck?
Careful prepping of the deck and the surrounding area must be carried out to guarantee a good finish. Vegetation should be cut, and any pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be washed and sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the best stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid usually delivering superior protection from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the look of your house and yard.
Is there a big difference in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have unique advantages, so it's essential to analyze which option most fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are the extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also needs extensive maintenance because of chipping and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to care for, and has more advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection against water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that enhance durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be right for your needs.
Is the cost of professional deck staining offset by any real benefits?
Staining a deck offers several advantages, such as enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a range of hues and opacities that can help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you might suppose when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Lakewood, New York is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the kind of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting pests and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Lakewood, New York on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its appearance and delivering long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to guarantee it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that experts can offer regarding picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting provides more versatility in colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away under frequent use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. It also won't need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration for every step of the process. Executing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to a pro who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Lakewood, New York and choose the right one matching your needs and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.