Find Deck Staining in Lawrence, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // New York // Lawrence
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will the weather ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll get the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or cold temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive humidity will extend drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature directions on how long curing should take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What preparatory measures should be taken before initiating the deck staining process?
Careful prep of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be carried out to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be removed, and nearby walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the best stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from particular stains that will provide your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid generally providing superior defense from water and UV rays. If your wood species has minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the look of your home and yard.
Is there a big difference in benefits between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's essential to consider which option most meets your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive variety of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also requires more maintenance due to peeling and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly cured, needs less effort to maintain, and has more benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better defense from water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is right for you and your home.
Is staining a deck worth the price if I hire a professional?
Staining a deck provides several benefits, such as enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a variety of hues and opacities that will help revitalize the look of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor to deliver excellent results. The weather in Lawrence, NY is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the kind of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include keeping out pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional Near Lawrence, NY on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its appearance and providing unmatched durability from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to guarantee it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can share when it comes to picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting gives more variety of colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it peels away under steady use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining your deck demands attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the process. Executing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can promise stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Lawrence, NY and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.