Find a Cabinet Painter in Long Beach, New York
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New York // Long Beach
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to update the style of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for interior walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that sleek appearance. Common wall paints may not stick properly to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
How do I know I've found the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the perfect one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to focus on is by knowing exactly what style you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their previous work matching what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Reliable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Check that any painter you consider gives documentation of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to pop up once the project has started that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by assessing any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients available online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Can I just paint over my present cabinets?
It's always tempting to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and their components, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach any edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
Is it expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Long Beach, NY, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors might bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project completed.
You'll need to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Renew Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Long Beach, NY
An exceptional way to enhance the value of your property and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and provide a new look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Long Beach, NY varies, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When looking for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be willing to show you a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Find all the information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Long Beach, NY easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.