Find a Cabinet Painter in Alex, Oklahoma
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter what kind of paint I choose for my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that elegant appearance. Common wall paints may not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
What qualities do I search for in a reliable cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to focus on is by knowing precisely what look you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their prior work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Professional contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Check that any painter you consider provides written statements of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't want is for any surprises to pop up after the project has started that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by checking their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets without sanding?
It's may be tempting to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to those places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What is the average cost of a professional cabinet painter?
There are many things that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Alex, Oklahoma, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors might bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Alex, Oklahoma Who Can Bring Your Ideas to Life
A quick way to increase the value of your house and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will suit your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Alex, Oklahoma fluctuates, but some customers still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets may be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to share a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Find all important information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Alex, Oklahoma easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.