Find a Cabinet Painter in Dover, Oklahoma
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any distinction with cabinet paint and wall paint?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used on walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that elegant look. Common wall paints will not adhere adequately to cabinets or begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
How can I choose a painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to focus on is by knowing precisely what style you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their past work matching your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Make sure that any contractor you consider provides written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project commences that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by checking any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Will I need to prime cabinets cabinets before painting?
It's may be enticing to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any edges that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What is the average price of a professional cabinet painting contractor?
There are many factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Dover, OK, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Refresh Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Dover, OK
A smart way to enhance the appeal of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and deliver an updated look that will match your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Dover, OK fluctuates, but many customers have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets may be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the right cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Locate all the information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Dover, OK confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.