Find a Cabinet Painter in Lehigh, Oklahoma
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What variety of paint do you use with cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint usually used for interior walls will face many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sleek aesthetic. Typical wall paints may not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
How can I find the right painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painters to discover the best one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to focus on is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their previous work matching what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate significantly. Check that any professional you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project begins that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets before sanding?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach any places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only flake off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What is the usual price for a professional cabinet painter?
There are several factors that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Lehigh, OK, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters could bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will have to recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Update Your Cabinets for Less With a Dependable Cabinet Painter Near Lehigh, OK
A smart way to enhance the value of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Lehigh, OK fluctuates, but many customers still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors like the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your present cabinets might be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While looking for the right cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be willing to share their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Find all important information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Lehigh, OK confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.