Find Deck Staining in Marietta, Oklahoma
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will the weather play a role in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll achieve the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works better when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm and colder temperatures can affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long curing will take, and it's required that it stays dry during this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What preparatory measures should be taken before initiating the deck staining process?
Detailed prepping of your deck and the surrounding area needs to be conducted to ensure a good finish. Vegetation should be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Choosing the right stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will provide your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid usually delivering the most defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck is known for minimal strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the appearance of your house and yard.
Would painting my deck be a smarter option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's important to consider which option best suits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are its wider selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep due to chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly cured, needs less effort to care for, and has more advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense from water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be best for you and your home.
Is the expense of professional deck staining offset by any real benefits?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that can help reinvigorate the style of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor to guarantee excellent results. The weather in Marietta, OK poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include stopping bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Marietta, OK on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its look and delivering long-lasting protection against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to safeguard the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share regarding choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it chips away under heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining your deck calls for attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Carrying out the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by enlisting a pro who can promise excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Marietta, OK and choose the best one matching your vision and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.