Find Deck Staining in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Oklahoma // Oklahoma City
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are some benefits of applying stain to my deck compared to painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer different advantages, so it's essential to consider which option most suits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are its wider selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also demands more upkeep due to peeling and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly cured, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has more advantages, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better protection against water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be best for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck provides many benefits, such as enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the style of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional to deliver excellent results. The climate in Oklahoma City, OK poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How much time can I expect a professional to take when deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed process that needs careful preparation and execution to get the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleansed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres properly. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a smooth application during the next step. The environment surrounding the work area, such as walkways and buildings, will also need to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you select the best kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to apply as many coats as are needed for good penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - A contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to cure. It's essential that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is fitting during the curing step.
Each of these steps can be complex and tedious, but proper execution is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while delivering your desired look and durability.
Can the weather play a hand in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and colder temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much moisture can prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long curing should take, and it's essential that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional in Oklahoma City, OK on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its look and providing unmatched protection against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures correctly to safeguard the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can share when it comes to selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting gives more versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it chips away beneath constant foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining your deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the process. Performing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by enlisting an expert who can promise excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Oklahoma City, OK and choose the best one matching your needs and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.