Find Deck Staining in Perkins, Oklahoma
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Oklahoma // Perkins
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a big difference in benefits between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's important to assess which option best fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are its wider variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also needs more upkeep because of flaking and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly cured, needs minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense against moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be best for you and your home.
Can staining my deck help protect it from weather-related damage?
Staining a deck offers many benefits, including enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a variety of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you might suppose by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor to deliver excellent results. The climate in Perkins, Oklahoma is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the species of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
What steps are involved during professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that needs careful preparation and execution to achieve the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleansed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres well. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a smooth application during the next step. The environment immediately outside of the work area, like walkways and structures, will have to be protected by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you choose the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to dry. It's crucial that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable throughout the curing process.
All of these steps can be challenging and tedious, but proper execution is necessary to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to finish the job fast while achieving the desired look and durability.
Is there a certain time of year that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is better when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot and colder temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much humidity can prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long curing will take, and it's required that it remains dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Perkins, Oklahoma on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its look and delivering unmatched protection against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to protect the wood from water, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting gives better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it chips away under frequent use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and has pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from rot and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining any deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Performing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can guarantee stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Perkins, Oklahoma and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.