Find Deck Staining in Buxton, Oregon
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have different benefits, so it's important to assess which option best suits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are the wider variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also needs more maintenance because of flaking and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly dried, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has more benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering a deep layer of defense against water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is best for you and your home.
Is staining my deck worth the cost if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck brings many benefits, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the look of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you might think by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor to ensure excellent results. The climate in Buxton, Oregon poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the kind of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
What kind of time frame can I expect when hiring a contractor for deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multiphase process that requires careful preparation and application to achieve the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks properly. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a consistent application during the following step. Anything surrounding the work area, including walkways and structures, will also need to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you pick the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it takes to cure. It's critical that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable during the curing process.
Each of these steps are complex and tedious, but performing them correctly is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving the desired look and durability.
Can the weather play a role in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck works best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or colder temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive humidity will prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long curing should take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Buxton, Oregon on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its look and providing unmatched protection against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting has better versatility in colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it peels away beneath heavy use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining any deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration for every step of the process. Carrying out the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by enlisting a professional who can guarantee stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Buxton, Oregon and choose the best one matching your needs and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.