Find Deck Staining in Forest Grove, Oregon
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Does the weather play a hand in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get the best results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot or colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive humidity can prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long drying should take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What preparations are suggested prior to staining a deck?
Careful prep of the deck and the surrounding area must be conducted to guarantee a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck may need to be washed and sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the right stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from particular stains that will offer your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually providing superior defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species has low strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opacity to complement or stand out from the appearance of your home and grounds.
What are some benefits of staining a deck versus painting it?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's important to assess which option best fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the extensive variety of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also requires more upkeep because of flaking and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better defense against water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be right for you and your home.
Will staining a deck provide any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck offers several benefits, including enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a variety of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the style of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you may think when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional to deliver excellent results. The weather in Forest Grove, Oregon is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping insects and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more from your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Forest Grove, Oregon on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for refreshing its look and providing long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures correctly to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting provides more variety of colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it peels away under constant use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from rot and insect damage. It also doesn't need reapplication for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining a deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the process. Carrying out the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by hiring a professional who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Forest Grove, Oregon and choose the right one matching your vision and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.