Find Deck Staining in Hillsboro, Oregon
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will painting my deck be a smarter option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's important to assess which option best meets your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are the wider variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep due to chipping and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has more advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing a deep layer of defense from water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is best for you and your home.
Is the expense of professional deck staining offset by any protective benefits?
Staining a deck provides several advantages, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a variety of hues and opacities that can help reinvigorate the style of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional to ensure excellent results. The climate in Hillsboro, Oregon poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include stopping bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
What steps are involved with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that requires careful preparation and application to obtain the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks well. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a consistent application during the following step. The environment surrounding the work area, including pathways and buildings, will have to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you choose the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the look you want to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it takes to cure. It's crucial that the deck is not touched and that the weather is acceptable during the drying step.
Each of these steps are challenging and time-consuming, but proper execution is vital to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to finish the job fast while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
Can the weather play a hand in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much humidity can extend drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional in Hillsboro, Oregon on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its appearance and providing long-lasting protection against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting offers better variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it chips away under heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also won't need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the process. Carrying out the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by enlisting a professional who can promise excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Hillsboro, Oregon and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.