Find Deck Staining in Lake Oswego, Oregon
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will the weather play a role in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll achieve the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck is best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm and cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What preparatory measures should be taken before initiating the deck staining process?
Detailed prepping of your deck and the surrounding environment needs to be carried out to guarantee a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be cleaned or sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will give your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid typically delivering superior defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has low strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opacity to complement or stand out from the look of your home and yard.
Would painting my deck be a smarter choice than staining it?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's important to assess which option most suits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive selection of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance because of flaking and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has other benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering a deep layer of defense against water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be best for you and your home.
Can staining my deck help shield it from weather-related damage?
Staining a deck offers several advantages, such as enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a range of colors and opacities that will help re-energize the aesthetic of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Lake Oswego, Oregon poses the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor Near Lake Oswego, Oregon on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its look and delivering long-lasting durability against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives more variety of colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it flakes away under heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining your deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the process. Conducting the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to a professional who can ensure excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Lake Oswego, Oregon and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.