Find Deck Staining in Newberg, Oregon
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the biggest determinants of the price for expert deck staining?
Several factors can influence the cost of expert deck staining services, but square footage and the current condition of the deck will have the biggest impact. Contractors should give an initial quote based on the size of the deck, but that price may go up if extensive prep and repairs need to be completed before stain is applied.
The kind of stain you pick for the project will be calculated into the final price, and high-end options with better UV protection and water resistance will be more expensive. Also remember that how challenging your deck is to access or maneuver around will result in higher labor costs from a professional service. Any additional services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or applying more coats of stain, may also raise your final cost.
When looking for professional deck staining services, it's important to obtain multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about the timeline for your project. Residents of Newberg, Oregon can find all the necessary information to make informed decisions and get the best contractor for deck staining at Thumbtack.
How long can it take an expert to complete a deck staining project?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that requires careful preparation and execution to obtain the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleaned of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks properly. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a smooth application of the stain. Anything around the work area, like walkways and buildings, will also need to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you choose the right type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to dry. It's important that the deck is not used and that the weather is fitting during the curing step.
Each of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but proper execution is necessary to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while achieving the desired look and durability.
Can the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll get better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and cold temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture can prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature directions on how long curing should take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Before staining a deck, what are the preparatory steps that should be taken?
Careful preparation of the deck and the surrounding environment needs to be conducted to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be washed and sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Picking the right stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will offer your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid generally delivering the most protection from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for low strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and grounds.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Newberg, Oregon on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its look and delivering unmatched protection from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to make sure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share when it comes to picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting offers more versatility in colors and looks and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it chips away under frequent use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from rot and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for a few years if properly cured.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration for every step of the project. Carrying out the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can guarantee stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Newberg, Oregon and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.