Find a Cabinet Painter in Oakridge, Oregon
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the look of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint generally used for interior walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their sleek appearance. Typical wall paints might not adhere adequately to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
How can I choose the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the best one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to begin is by understanding exactly what style you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their prior work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any professional you consider provides written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project has started that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by assessing their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients available online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Is the challenging prep stage a necessity when painting my cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and require repainting sooner than expected.
Is it costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many factors that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Oakridge, Oregon, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll need to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Oakridge, Oregon to Bring Your Vision to Life
A smart way to increase the appeal of your house and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will match your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Oakridge, Oregon varies, but some customers still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your present cabinets might be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Oakridge, Oregon easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.