Find a Cabinet Painter in Providence, Rhode Island
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Rhode Island // Providence
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will it matter which kind of paint I pick for my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint typically used for home walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their elegant aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not stick adequately to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended time to dry and cure than those usually applied to walls.
How do I pick a painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painters to discover the perfect one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. The best place to begin is by knowing precisely what style you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Check that any painter you consider gives written statements of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur after the project commences that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's reliability by checking their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Is the challenging prep phase a necessity before painting my cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to those edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
Is it costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many things that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Providence, RI, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll need to discuss your home's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Providence, RI Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Life
A smart way to enhance the appeal of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and provide a new look that will match your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Providence, RI fluctuates, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your current cabinets may be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When hunting for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be happy to show you their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Find all the information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Providence, RI confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.