Find a Cabinet Painter in Olivet, South Dakota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited to the type of paint I can use for my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will face many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that sophisticated aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
What features should I expect from a reliable cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to focus on is by understanding precisely what look you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their previous work matching your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate significantly. Check that any professional you consider gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project begins that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's reliability by assessing their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the difficult prep stage necessary before painting all cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt or grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their hardware, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach those edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How do I estimate the price of cabinet painting?
There are many things that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Olivet, South Dakota, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor will have to recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Update Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Olivet, South Dakota
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Olivet, South Dakota varies, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your current cabinets might be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all important information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Olivet, South Dakota confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.