Find a Cabinet Painter in Tea, South Dakota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited to the kind of paint I can put on my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek aesthetic. Typical wall paints may not stick adequately to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
Is it hard to find an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the perfect one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of work. The first place to focus on is by understanding exactly what look you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Check that any contractor you consider gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project commences that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's reliability by assessing any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Will I need to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's always enticing to quickly start painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt and grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What is the average cost of an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
There are several factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Tea, SD, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first seek out quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The painter will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll need to discuss your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Refresh Your Kitchen for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter Near Tea, SD
An exceptional way to increase the value of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and deliver an updated look that will suit your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Tea, SD varies, but some customers have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets might be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to share a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Find all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Tea, SD confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.