Find Deck Staining in Alexandria, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What time of the year is suggested for performing a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining any deck works better when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive humidity can prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What prep has to be conducted before staining a deck?
Detailed prepping of the deck and the surrounding environment must be carried out to ensure a good result. Vegetation will need to be cut, and nearby walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck may need to be cleaned or sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the best stain for your deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from particular stains that will provide your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid generally providing the most defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck is known for minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the appearance of your home and lawn.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have different benefits, so it's essential to consider which option best meets your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are the extensive variety of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also requires more upkeep because of peeling and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing a deep layer of defense against moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that enhance durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be best for you and your home.
Does staining a deck provide any benefits other than aesthetics?
Staining a deck comes with many benefits, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a range of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the look of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you may think by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional to ensure excellent results. The weather in Alexandria, Tennessee is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the species of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include keeping out pests and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more from your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Alexandria, Tennessee on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is great for updating its look and providing unmatched durability against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers better variety of colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it chips away beneath heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the project. Conducting the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to a pro who can ensure stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Alexandria, Tennessee and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.