Find a Cabinet Painter in Athens, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to renew the look of my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint usually used for interior walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek appearance. Typical wall paints might not stick adequately to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
How can I choose the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the most suitable one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of effort. The best place to begin is by understanding precisely what style you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their past work aligning with your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any professional you hire provides documentation of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project commences that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reliability by assessing their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past customers for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Should I just paint over my home's cabinets?
It's always tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach any places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What things are considered when it comes to establishing price of painting cabinets?
There are many things that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Athens, Tennessee, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Athens, Tennessee to Bring Your Ideas to Reality
An exceptional way to enhance the value of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and deliver an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Athens, Tennessee varies, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets might be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be willing to show you a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Athens, Tennessee confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.