Find Deck Staining in Crab Orchard, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is it better to stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's important to assess which option best fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its wider variety of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also demands more maintenance because of flaking and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has other benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering better defense against moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be right for your needs.
Why do so many homeowners say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck offers several benefits, such as enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a range of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the style of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The climate in Crab Orchard, Tennessee is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the kind of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include keeping out insects and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
How long should it take an expert to complete a deck staining project?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and application to get the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a smooth application of the stain. Anything around the work area, like walkways and structures, will have to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you pick the right kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the style you want to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it will take to cure. It's crucial that the deck is not touched and that the weather is fitting for the curing process.
All of these steps can be complex and tedious, but proper execution is necessary to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job fast while achieving the desired look and durability.
Can the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get the best results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is better when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much humidity can extend drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long curing will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Crab Orchard, Tennessee on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its look and providing long-lasting durability against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to protect the wood from water, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can offer regarding selecting the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting gives more versatility in colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away under steady foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Performing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to a professional who can guarantee stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Crab Orchard, Tennessee and choose the right one matching your vision and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.