Find Deck Staining in Dowelltown, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a certain season that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck works best when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much moisture will prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that it remains dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What preparations will a contractor conduct before jumping into deck staining?
Detailed prep of your deck and the surrounding spaces must be performed to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be cut, and nearby pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be washed or sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Picking the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from transparent to solid, with solid usually providing superior protection from water and UV rays. If your wood species is known for low durability, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opacity to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and grounds.
Will deck staining offer more advantages than painting?
Deck staining and painting offer unique advantages, so it's essential to analyze which option best fits your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant advantages of painting are its wider selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also needs extensive upkeep due to chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly cured, requires less effort to care for, and has more advantages, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better protection against water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be best for you and your home.
Is staining a deck worth the price if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a range of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the style of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The weather in Dowelltown, TN is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include keeping out pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Dowelltown, TN on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its look and providing long-lasting durability from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can share when it comes to picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain won't offer as many style options as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers better versatility in colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away under heavy use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for a few years if adequately cured.
Staining any deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the process. Performing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by enlisting a professional who can ensure excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Dowelltown, TN and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.