Find a Cabinet Refinisher in Elmwood, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET REFINISHING
What is the suggested frequency for refinishing cabinets
One of the best benefits about wood is that it can be refinished many times to make the product look as it did when new, which applies to wood cabinets, too. How many times you can refinish cabinets depends on a few factors, including the durability of the wood, the materials used, and how well the cabinets have been maintained. How many years your refinished cabinets will last before the project needs to be followed up depends on wear and tear and what kind of maintenance you conduct. A well-done cabinet refinishing service can last anywhere from 5 to 10 years or more, depending on the factors mentioned above.
Are refinished cabinets worth it?
Cabinet refinishing is almost always more cost-effective than buying new ones and is a wise investment in many scenarios, including when:
- Existing Cabinets Are in Decent Condition: When your cabinets are damaged or significantly warped, it could be more worthwhile to consider replacement.
- Environmental Sustainability Is a Value: If reducing your carbon footprint is a priority, you may want to consider cabinet refinishing as a better way to limit waste by upcycling your current cabinetry.
- You Want To Achieve a Unique Look: Refinishing gives you choices between a huge variety of colors and finishes to bring to life a vision that is totally unique and suits your tastes.
- Boosting Home Resale Value Cost-Effectively: If you're planning to sell your house, cabinet refinishing is a cost-effective way to boost its appeal to try and maximize ROI.
- You Are Satisfied With the Current Layout and Functionality: You're current cabinets may already work perfectly with your kitchen's design and deliver ideal functionality.
- Avoiding Disruption is Necessary: Cabinet refinishing involves less disruption to your daily life compared to a complete cabinet replacement.
People of Elmwood, TN have detailed spending nearly 70% less when refinishing their cabinets compared to replacing them. Before choosing cabinet refinishing, evaluate your specific preferences, budget, and the condition of your cabinets to understand if this project is best for you.
Which licenses or qualifications are important to look for in a cabinet refinishing professional?
While there aren't industry-mandated licenses designed for cabinet refinishing contractors, there are certain qualifications and indicators of expertise that you can look for when vetting someone to refinish your cabinets. Most professional contractors will mention their background in carpentry, woodworking, or a related field on their Thumbtack profile.
You will want to ask the contractor you are considering hiring for a portfolio with pictures of cabinets they have refinished in the past, especially featuring finished projects that look like the style you're trying to achieve. Besides a portfolio, most professional contractors will demonstrate their experience and reliability through online customer reviews.
A dependable professional should supply a detailed written estimate of the job before it begins, outlining the scope of work, materials, and all associated costs. Contractors need to possess excellent communication skills and be able to answer any questions and concerns regarding budget, schedule, and quality throughout the refinishing project. It would be wise to also ask for warranties or guarantees from a contractor, which is another factor that can show they have faith in the quality of their craftsmanship.
What techniques are involved when a professional refinishes cabinets?
A professional working on your cabinet refinishing job will adhere to an established process for speed and proven results. There are generally several steps taken to transform the style of existing cabinets, for example:
- Assessment and Preparation: Cabinets should be first inspected to ensure they are in good enough condition to be refinished. If so, all gear will be taken off, like handles, knobs, and hinges, and the surfaces need to be cleaned to remove any dirt, grease, or other residue.
- Touch-Up and Fill: Some small issues, such as scratches, dents, or other blemishes in the wood will be repaired or filled before being blended in when staining or painting.
- Painting or Staining: Whatever you choose for paint, stain, or finishing technique will be applied in careful, even coats to accomplish the look you've envisioned. The drying and curing step will be critical to giving a high-quality outcome, and could require a few hours to complete.
- Reassembly: After your paint or stain has dried, all hardware will be put back on and cabinets completely reassembled for use. Performing a quality inspection will ensure the finished project meets your expectations, which includes a last cleanup of the entire work area.
It's useful to keep in mind that every refinishing project will vary based on things such as the model of cabinets and the desired finish. Furthermore, contractors may employ specialized methods, such as distressing or glazing, to achieve specific stylistic results, which will require a longer process with more steps. Be sure to speak directly with any contractor you employ to ensure they have the skill to bring your vision to life.
Hire a Contractor for Cabinet Refinishing in Elmwood, TN
Cabinet refinishing is a great way to transform the look of your home by updating the appearance of current cabinets without the need for a full replacement. Experienced cabinet refinishers sand and apply customized finishes, like paint, stain, or other methods to your present cabinets to give a new look that fits your sense of style and design preferences.
The affordability of cabinet refinishing is one of the first benefits, and many homeowners in Elmwood, TN have reported spending up to 70% less than the price of having new cabinets built and hung. Attaining a fresh and modern look for your used cabinets for less money will maximize the return on your investment, increasing the value of your home simultaneously.
Environmental considerations also play a part in why many homeowners are beginning to refinish used cabinets rather than buy and install new ones. Refinishing is a green choice that prioritizes eco-conscious values in home improvement by minimizing toxic waste and lessening demand for cutting more trees.
Another great benefit of cabinet refinishing is that the process will be many times less chaotic to your home than the work it takes to install new ones. Whether buying stock or custom-made new cabinets, the kitchen where they're hung will often face some degree of demolition and reconstruction for them to fit properly. The result is much more dust and could take weeks or months to get your kitchen ready for use again, whereas an effective refinishing job is less messy and the better alternative for anyone on a tight schedule.
When selecting an expert for your cabinet refinishing project, get a feel for their knowledge and expertise through galleries of past work, if they supply any guarantees on their workmanship, online customer reviews, and how clearly they communicate with you about time and budget. All of this important information and more is on the powerful Thumbtack site to help you hire a cabinet refinishing contractor in Elmwood, TN with confidence.