Find a Cabinet Painter in Estill Springs, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to update the style of my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint typically used for interior walls will encounter some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant appearance. Typical wall paints will not stick sufficiently to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
How can I pick the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to begin is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any painter you consider gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for any surprises to occur once the project commences that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's reputation by checking their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Will I need to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's always tempting to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to those places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How much will I need to budget to paint my existing cabinets?
There are several things that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Estill Springs, Tennessee, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Beautify Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Estill Springs, Tennessee
An exceptional way to enhance the value of your house and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will match your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Estill Springs, Tennessee varies, but some customers still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors such as the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets may be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be happy to share their history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all the information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Estill Springs, Tennessee easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.