Find a Cabinet Painter in Gates, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the look of my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint typically used for interior walls will face some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sleek look. Common wall paints may not stick sufficiently to cabinets or start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
Is it simple to find a good cabinet painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the most suitable one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of effort. A good place to focus on is by knowing exactly what style you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their past work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Ensure that any painter you consider gives documentation of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project has started that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by assessing any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Can I simply paint over my home's cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly start painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their components, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than expected.
What is the usual price of a professional cabinet painting contractor?
There are several things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Gates, TN, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll want to discuss your home's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Renew Your Cabinets for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter Near Gates, TN
An exceptional way to enhance the value of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will match your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Gates, TN varies, but some customers have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets could be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When hunting for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be happy to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Discover all the information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Gates, TN easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.