Find a Cabinet Painter in Germantown, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to renew the look of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their elegant look. Typical wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
How do I find the right painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of work. The first place to focus on is by understanding precisely what look you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their past work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Check that any painter you consider provides written statements of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to occur once the project commences that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's reliability by evaluating any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients available online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Should I simply paint over my present cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt and grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
Is it costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Germantown, TN, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters could bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll want to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Refresh Your Cabinets for Less With a Dependable Cabinet Painter in Germantown, TN
An exceptional way to boost the value of your house and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will match your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Germantown, TN varies, but some customers have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets might be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be happy to show you their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Find all important information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Germantown, TN easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.