Find a Cabinet Painter in Henning, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a difference with cabinet paint and wall paint?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint usually used for home walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that modern aesthetic. Typical wall paints may not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
Which qualities do I expect from a professional cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to start is by understanding exactly what look you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Make sure that any painter you hire provides written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to pop up after the project has started that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by evaluating any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past customers available online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is it necessary to prime and sand cabinets prior to painting?
It's always tempting to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach any places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How much will I have to budget to paint my used cabinets?
There are many things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Henning, TN, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor will have to recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll need to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Renew Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Henning, TN
An exceptional way to boost the appeal of your house and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-efficient option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and give them a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Henning, TN fluctuates, but some customers have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets may be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be willing to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Locate all important information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Henning, TN confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.