Find Deck Staining in Huntsville, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm or cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much humidity will extend drying times and heighten the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature directions on how long curing should take, and it's required that it stays dry during this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What preparations are suggested before staining a deck?
Careful prep of your deck and the surrounding spaces must be conducted to ensure a good finish. Vegetation should be pushed back, and any pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the right stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually providing the most protection from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck is known for low durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the look of your house and lawn.
Is there a big difference in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer different advantages, so it's important to consider which option most fits your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are its wider selection of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also needs extensive maintenance due to chipping and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has other advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection from water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is best for you and your home.
Is the cost of professional deck staining offset by any protective benefits?
Staining a deck comes with several advantages, such as enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a variety of colors and opacities that will help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you might suppose by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Huntsville, Tennessee is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the species of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include stopping insects and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Huntsville, Tennessee on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its appearance and providing unmatched durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from water, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can share regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting provides more versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it chips away under constant foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and contains pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mold and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining your deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the process. Performing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to a pro who can guarantee stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Huntsville, Tennessee and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.