Find a Cabinet Painter in Indian Mound, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the look of my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sophisticated appearance. Typical wall paints may not stick adequately to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
How do I find a painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the perfect one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of effort. The best place to start is by knowing precisely what style you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Ensure that any professional you hire gives written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't want is for any surprises to occur after the project begins that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by evaluating their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers available online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Will I need to prime cabinets cabinets before painting?
It's always tempting to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grime are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach any edges that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What is the typical price of a professional cabinet painter?
There are many things that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Indian Mound, TN, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Refresh Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Indian Mound, TN
A quick way to boost the appeal of your property and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will match your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Indian Mound, TN fluctuates, but many homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets could be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be willing to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Find all the information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Indian Mound, TN confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.