Find Deck Staining in Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will deck staining give less advantages than painting?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's essential to assess which option best suits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are its wider selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also requires more upkeep because of flaking and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has more advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of defense from water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is right for you and your home.
Is the price of professional deck staining offset by any protective benefits?
Staining a deck offers many benefits, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a variety of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the style of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you may think when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional to deliver excellent results. The climate in Murfreesboro, TN poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the species of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How much time should I expect a professional to take when deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that requires careful preparation and application to get the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks well. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a consistent application of the stain. Anything around the work area, like pathways and buildings, will also need to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you understand the right type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the look you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to put on as many coats as are required for good penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to cure. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable throughout the drying process.
Each of these steps can be complex and tedious, but proper execution is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving the desired look and durability.
What is the best season for staining my deck?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll get better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck is better when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm and cold temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Murfreesboro, TN on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its look and delivering long-lasting durability against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that professionals can offer regarding picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting offers better versatility in colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it chips away beneath constant foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining your deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the project. Performing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by enlisting an expert who can promise stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Murfreesboro, TN and choose the right one matching your needs and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.