Find a Cabinet Painter in Rockvale, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to update the look of my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will face many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that elegant appearance. Common wall paints might not adhere adequately to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint contractors use for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those usually used on walls.
Which features do I search for in a reliable cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the perfect one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to begin is by understanding precisely what look you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their past work aligning with your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Ensure that any contractor you hire provides written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to pop up once the project has started that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by evaluating their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients available online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets without sanding?
It's may be tempting to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any edges that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How do you estimate the cost for cabinet painting?
There are several factors that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Rockvale, TN, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors might charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll need to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painter in Rockvale, TN to Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to boost the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Rockvale, TN fluctuates, but many homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets may be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When searching for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be willing to show you their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Discover all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Rockvale, TN easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.