Find Deck Staining in Rocky Top, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What is the optimal weather for staining a deck?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll get better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck is best when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive humidity can extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature directions on how long drying should take, and it's essential that it stays dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What prep has to be done before staining a deck?
Careful prepping of the deck and the surrounding spaces must be performed to ensure a good finish. Vegetation will need to be removed, and any pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Picking the best stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid usually delivering superior defense from water and UV rays. If your wood species has low strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and yard.
Will deck staining offer fewer benefits than painting?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's important to assess which option best fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are the extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also needs extensive maintenance because of peeling and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly dried, requires minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better defense from water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is right for you and your home.
Why do so many people say deck staining is a smart investment?
Staining a deck brings several benefits, such as enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a variety of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the look of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you might suppose when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The weather in Rocky Top, TN is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include stopping insects and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional in Rocky Top, TN on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is great for refreshing its look and delivering long-lasting durability against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting offers better variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away under constant foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining any deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Carrying out the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by hiring a professional who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Rocky Top, TN and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.