Find a Cabinet Painter in Rutledge, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to update the appearance of my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their sophisticated look. Common wall paints may not stick properly to cabinets or start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those generally used on walls.
What qualities do I expect from a professional cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the most suitable one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to start is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their past work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate significantly. Check that any professional you hire provides written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project has started that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the difficult prep stage necessary prior to painting all cabinets?
It's always enticing to quickly start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its components, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How do you estimate the cost of cabinet painting?
There are several things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Rutledge, Tennessee, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll want to discuss your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Beautify Your Cabinets for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter in Rutledge, Tennessee
A smart way to enhance the value of your property and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Rutledge, Tennessee fluctuates, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets might be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
When hunting for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Rutledge, Tennessee confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.