Find Deck Staining in Southside, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a significant variance in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer different benefits, so it's important to assess which option best fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also needs more upkeep due to flaking and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly cured, requires minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering better protection from moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be best for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck offers several advantages, including enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that can help reinvigorate the style of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you might suppose when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a professional to deliver excellent results. The weather in Southside, TN poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting pests and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
What steps are followed during professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed process that requires careful preparation and application to get the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a smooth application of the stain. Anything surrounding the work area, like pathways and structures, will have to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you choose the best type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - A contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to dry. It's important that the deck is not touched and that the weather is acceptable for the drying step.
All of these steps can be complex and tedious, but performing them correctly is necessary to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to finish the job fast while achieving your desired look and durability.
Can the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll get better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is best while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture can extend drying times and heighten the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Southside, TN on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its look and providing long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can share regarding picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has better variety of colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it peels away beneath frequent foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for a few years if properly cured.
Staining a deck demands a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration through every step of the process. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by enlisting a professional who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Southside, TN and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.