Find a Cabinet Painter in Strawberry Plains, Tennessee
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the appearance of my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will face many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their sophisticated aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not stick adequately to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my project?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the most suitable one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to focus on is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their past work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Ensure that any contractor you hire provides documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to occur once the project has started that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Can I paint my cabinets before sanding?
It's always enticing to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What factors are considered when it comes to establishing cost for painting cabinets?
There are many factors that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Strawberry Plains, TN, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll want to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Strawberry Plains, TN to Bring Your Ideas to Reality
A smart way to increase the value of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and provide a new look that will match your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Strawberry Plains, TN varies, but many homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets might be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When searching for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be willing to share a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Find all important information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Strawberry Plains, TN easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.