Find a Cabinet Painter in Calvert, Texas
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the appearance of my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint generally used for home walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their modern appearance. Common wall paints will not stick adequately to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
Is it simple to find an experienced cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the perfect one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to begin is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Make sure that any professional you consider provides documentation of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project begins that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by assessing their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers available online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Is the long prep step a necessity prior to painting my cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their hardware, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in most cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
Will it be expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many factors that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Calvert, TX, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors might bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Renew Your Home for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Calvert, TX
A quick way to increase the appeal of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and give them a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Calvert, TX fluctuates, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When looking for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all the information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Calvert, TX easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.