Find a Cabinet Painter in Garland, Texas
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Texas // Garland
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to update the style of my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for interior walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated aesthetic. Typical wall paints will not stick sufficiently to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint professionals use for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
Which features should I expect in a professional cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of work. The first place to focus on is by understanding precisely what style you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Check that any professional you hire gives documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for any surprises to pop up after the project begins that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's reputation by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Can I just paint over my home's cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt and grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach those places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What is the typical cost for an experienced cabinet painter?
There are several factors that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Garland, TX, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from several professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project finished.
You'll need to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Beautify Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Garland, TX
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your property and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will match your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Garland, TX fluctuates, but some customers have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While searching for the perfect cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be happy to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Find all the information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Garland, TX easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.