Find a Cabinet Painter in Kempner, Texas
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a distinction between cabinet paint and wall paint?
A commonly asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint generally used for interior walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their modern aesthetic. Common wall paints might not adhere adequately to cabinets or begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the perfect one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. The best place to focus on is by knowing exactly what look you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their past work matching what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Check that any painter you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to occur after the project commences that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's reliability by checking their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past customers for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Can I just paint over my present cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their components, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach any places that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How much will I have to pay to paint my existing cabinets?
There are several factors that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Kempner, TX, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first seek out quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters may charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will have to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll need to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painter in Kempner, TX Who Can Bring Your Vision to Reality
An exceptional way to boost the value of your property and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and provide a new look that will match your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Kempner, TX varies, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When hunting for the right cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all important information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Kempner, TX confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.