Find a Cabinet Painter in Kermit, Texas
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to renew the style of my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint usually used for home walls will face some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them that elegant appearance. Typical wall paints will not stick adequately to cabinets or begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
How do I find a painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painters to discover the most suitable one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to begin is by knowing exactly what style you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their prior work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Ensure that any contractor you hire provides written statements of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project has started that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by assessing their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past customers available online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Can I simply paint over my home's cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt and grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach those edges that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
Is it expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several factors that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Kermit, Texas, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will have to recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll need to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Choose a Cabinet Painter in Kermit, Texas Who Can Bring Your Vision to Reality
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your property and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will suit your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Kermit, Texas varies, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets might be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you their history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Find all important information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Kermit, Texas confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.