Find a Cabinet Painter in Lancaster, Texas
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Texas // Lancaster
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter which kind of paint I choose for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sophisticated look. Common wall paints might not stick properly to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the most suitable one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of effort. A good place to focus on is by understanding exactly what style you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their past work aligning with your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate largely. Check that any professional you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project has started that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's reputation by checking their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers available online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Should I just paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grime are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also reach any places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What is the average price of a professional cabinet painter?
There are many things that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Lancaster, TX, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll want to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Renew Your Cabinets for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Lancaster, TX
A quick way to enhance the value of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and give them a new look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Lancaster, TX fluctuates, but some homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While hunting for the right cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Find all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Lancaster, TX easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.