Find a Cabinet Painter in Marietta, Texas
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I limited to the kind of paint I can use for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sophisticated aesthetic. Common wall paints may not adhere adequately to cabinets or begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those generally used on walls.
Which qualities do I expect from a professional cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to find the perfect one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to begin is by knowing exactly what style you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their past work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Make sure that any painter you consider provides documentation of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for any surprises to pop up after the project commences that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by checking their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Should I simply paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt and grime are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its components, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than expected.
What factors are considered when it comes to the cost of painting cabinets?
There are many factors that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Marietta, TX, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors might bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will have to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Marietta, TX to Bring Your Vision to Reality
A smart way to enhance the value of your house and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-efficient choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and provide a new look that will suit your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Marietta, TX varies, but many customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets may be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When searching for the right cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Discover all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Marietta, TX confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.