Find a Cabinet Painter in Megargel, Texas
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter what type of paint I use for my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sleek look. Common wall paints might not adhere adequately to cabinets or start chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
How do I pick the right painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of effort. The first place to start is by knowing precisely what style you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their prior work similar to your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Check that any contractor you consider provides written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project commences that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by evaluating any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets before sanding?
It's always tempting to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grease are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in most cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How much will it cost to paint my present cabinets?
There are several factors that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Megargel, TX, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first seek out quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors might bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll want to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painter in Megargel, TX to Bring Your Ideas to Life
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your house and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Megargel, TX varies, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors such as the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets might be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When hunting for the best cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Find all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Megargel, TX confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.