Find a Cabinet Painter in Mineola, Texas
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What variety of paint is used with cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will face some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their elegant appearance. Typical wall paints may not adhere adequately to cabinets or start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
Is it hard to find an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the best one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to begin is by understanding exactly what look you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work matching your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Ensure that any painter you hire provides written statements of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to pop up after the project begins that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Is the tedious prep step necessary when painting all cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt and grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How much will I need to pay to paint my current cabinets?
There are several things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Mineola, Texas, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll need to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Choose a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Mineola, Texas Who Can Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to boost the value of your house and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and provide an updated look that will match your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Mineola, Texas varies, but some homeowners still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors such as the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets may be in fair enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be willing to share a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Locate all important information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Mineola, Texas confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.