Find Deck Staining in Cedar Valley, Utah
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the biggest factors of the cost for professional deck staining?
Many factors can affect the cost of professional deck staining services, but square footage and the current condition of the deck will have the biggest impact. Contractors should provide an estimate based on the size of the deck, but this price can go up if extensive prep or repairs need to be conducted before stain is applied.
The kind of stain you pick for your project will be reflected in the final price, and high-end products with better UV protection and water resistance will be more expensive. Keep in mind that how hard your deck is to reach or maneuver around could result in higher labor costs from a professional service. Any extra services needed, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding multiple coats of stain, may also increase the overall costs.
When evaluating professional deck staining contractors, it's a good idea to get multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about the timeline for your project. Homeowners can find all the necessary information to make informed decisions and get the most suitable contractor for the job at Thumbtack.
What steps are involved with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that needs careful preparation and application to achieve the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a consistent application of the stain. Anything immediately outside of the work area, such as walkways and buildings, will have to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you select the right kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it will take to cure. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is fitting for the drying process.
Each of these steps can be challenging and tedious, but attention to detail is necessary to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to finish the job quickly while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
What is the best weather for staining my deck?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve the best results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much moisture can prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that it stays dry during this time. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What preparations are required before staining a deck?
Detailed prep of your deck and the surrounding area must be performed to guarantee a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be washed or sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Choosing the right stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will offer your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid generally providing superior protection from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for minimal strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opacity to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and yard.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Cedar Valley, UT on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its appearance and providing unmatched durability against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting offers more variety of colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away under constant use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for a few years if properly dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the project. Performing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by enlisting an expert who can promise stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Cedar Valley, UT and choose the right one matching your vision and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.