Find a Cabinet Painter in Grantsville, Utah
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Utah // Grantsville
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What kind of paint is used for cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not adhere adequately to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my project?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by understanding precisely what style you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Professional contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Make sure that any contractor you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for any surprises to pop up once the project begins that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by checking their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Can I just paint over my existing cabinets?
It's may be enticing to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it on your own, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and their components, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How can I estimate the price for cabinet painting?
There are many factors that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Grantsville, Utah, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors might charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The painter will need to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project performed.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Renew Your Cabinets for Less With a Reliable Cabinet Painter Near Grantsville, Utah
An exceptional way to boost the value of your property and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-efficient option over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and give them a new look that will match your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Grantsville, Utah varies, but some customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects like the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your present cabinets could be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While searching for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be willing to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Find all the information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Grantsville, Utah easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.