Find Deck Staining in Herriman, Utah
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What things are factored in when estimating the price of deck staining by professionals?
Many factors will influence the cost of expert deck staining services, but square footage and the current state of the deck will have the biggest impact. Contractors should give an initial quote based on the size of the deck, but this price may increase if extensive prep or repairs need to be completed before stain is applied.
The brand of stain you select for your deck will be calculated into the final price, and high-end options featuring better UV protection and water resistance will be more expensive. Also remember that how challenging your deck is to reach or work around will lead to higher labor costs from a professional service. Any extra services needed, such as sealing, waterproofing, or applying more layers of stain, might also raise your final cost.
When assessing professional deck staining services, it's a good idea to get multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about the timeline for your project. Homeowners will discover all this information to make informed decisions and get the most suitable contractor for deck staining on Thumbtack.
How long should it take a contractor to stain my deck the way I envisioned?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that requires careful preparation and application to obtain the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres properly. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired from any damage to provide a smooth application during the following step. Anything surrounding the work area, including walkways and structures, will also need to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you choose the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the aesthetic you want to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've selected and how long it takes to dry. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is fitting during the curing process.
Each of these steps can be challenging and time-consuming, but proper execution is critical to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to complete the job fast while achieving your desired look and durability.
Does the weather play a role in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll achieve the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining a deck works best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much moisture will prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that it remains dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What steps must be taken before initiating the deck staining process?
Careful preparation of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be conducted to guarantee a good finish. Vegetation will need to be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be cleaned or sanded to facilitate good penetration and adhesion.
Picking the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will provide your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid generally providing superior protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has low durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the appearance of your house and yard.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional in Herriman, Utah on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its look and providing unmatched protection from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that experts can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting has more variety of colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it peels away beneath heavy use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years if properly dried.
Staining a deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration for every step of the process. Performing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by enlisting a pro who can promise excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Herriman, Utah and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.