Find Deck Staining in Bent Mountain, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer unique advantages, so it's essential to assess which option most suits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also demands extensive upkeep because of peeling and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly cured, needs minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection against water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is right for you and your home.
Is staining a deck worth the price if I hire a professional?
Staining a deck brings many benefits, such as enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you may think when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor to ensure excellent results. The climate in Bent Mountain, Virginia is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the kind of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
What kind of time frame can I anticipate from professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that needs careful preparation and execution to achieve the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres well. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a smooth application of the stain. Anything immediately outside of the work area, including walkways and structures, will also need to be protected with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you understand the right type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the aesthetic you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - Your contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it takes to cure. It's crucial that the deck is not used and that the weather is fitting for the drying step.
All of these steps can be complex and time-consuming, but proper execution is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to finish the job quickly while achieving the desired appearance and durability.
Can the climate impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck works better when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and colder temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture will extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional in Bent Mountain, Virginia on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its appearance and delivering long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share regarding selecting the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting provides more variety of colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it peels away under frequent use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining any deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by hiring a professional who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Bent Mountain, Virginia and choose the right one matching your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.