Find Deck Staining in Bentonville, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What aspects should be factored in when estimating the cost of deck staining by contractors?
Several factors can influence the cost of expert deck staining services, but square footage and the current condition of the deck will have the most significant impact. Contractors should provide an estimate based on the size of the deck, but this price will go up if extensive prep and repairs need to be conducted before stain is applied.
The type of stain you choose for your deck will be calculated into the final cost, and high-end options featuring better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Keep in mind that how challenging your deck is to access or maneuver around could result in higher labor costs from your contractor. Any additional services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding more coats of stain, might also increase your overall cost.
When looking for professional deck staining contractors, it's important to obtain multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor provides clear communication about the timeline for your project. You can discover all this information to make informed decisions and hire the most suitable contractor for deck staining on Thumbtack.
How long will it take a professional to finish a deck staining job?
Staining a deck is a detailed process that requires careful preparation and execution to get the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a smooth application of the stain. The environment around the work area, like walkways and structures, will have to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you understand the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the style you want to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to dry. It's crucial that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable throughout the drying step.
All of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but proper execution is critical to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to finish the job quickly while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
Which time of the year is suggested for conducting a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works better when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive moisture can extend drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long drying will take, and it's essential that it stays dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
What preparatory measures should be taken before beginning the deck staining process?
Detailed prep of your deck and the surrounding spaces must be performed to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be cut, and nearby walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be washed and sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Picking the right stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will give your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid usually delivering the most defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species has minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the appearance of your home and lawn.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Bentonville, Virginia on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its appearance and delivering unmatched durability from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that experts can share when it comes to selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting offers more versatility in colors and looks and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it chips away under heavy use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for two to three years if adequately cured.
Staining your deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the process. Conducting the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can promise excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Bentonville, Virginia and choose the best one matching your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.