Find Deck Staining in Blairs, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What aspects are considered when estimating the cost of deck staining by contractors?
Several things will influence the cost of expert deck staining services, but square footage and the current state of the deck will have the largest impact. Contractors will provide an initial quote based on the size of the deck, but this price will go up if extensive prep and repairs need to be conducted before application.
The type of stain you choose for your deck will be included in the final price, and premium options featuring better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Keep in mind that how difficult your deck is to access or maneuver around will result in higher labor costs from your contractor. Any additional services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding more coats of stain, might also increase your final cost.
When looking for professional deck staining services, it's important to get multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor provides clear communication about scheduling. Homeowners will find all the necessary information to make informed decisions and get the best contractor for deck staining at Thumbtack.
What steps are involved with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multistage project that requires careful preparation and execution to get the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleaned of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a consistent application of the stain. Anything around the work area, such as pathways and buildings, will also need to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you understand the best type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the look you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've selected and how long it takes to cure. It's important that the deck is not touched and that the weather is suitable throughout the drying step.
Each of these steps are challenging and tedious, but attention to detail is necessary to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to finish the job quickly while delivering your desired look and durability.
Which season of the year is recommended for performing my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is better while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive humidity will extend drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
Prior to deck staining, what are the preparatory steps that should be taken?
Detailed prepping of your deck and the surrounding area needs to be conducted to guarantee a good result. Vegetation will need to be removed, and any pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will offer your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from transparent to solid, with solid usually delivering superior protection from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck is known for minimal durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the style of your house and lawn.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor Near Blairs, VA on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its look and delivering long-lasting durability against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that professionals can offer regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as much variety as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting has better variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away beneath frequent use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. It also won't need reapplication for a few years if properly cured.
Staining your deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can guarantee stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Blairs, VA and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.