Find Deck Staining in Bridgewater, Virginia
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Would painting my deck be a better option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer different advantages, so it's essential to assess which option most meets your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive selection of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also needs extensive upkeep due to chipping and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has other advantages, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection from water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be right for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck brings many advantages, such as enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a range of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the look of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Bridgewater, VA poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the kind of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long can it take an expert to finish a deck staining job?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that needs careful preparation and application to achieve the desired results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleaned of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres well. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a smooth application of the stain. The environment surrounding the work area, like walkways and structures, will have to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you understand the right type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the aesthetic you want to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - A contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to cure. It's essential that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable throughout the curing process.
Each of these steps are complex and tedious, but proper execution is vital to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to finish the job fast while achieving your desired look and durability.
Is there a specific season that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll achieve better results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining any deck is better while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and cold temperatures can affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive humidity can prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional Near Bridgewater, VA on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its look and delivering long-lasting durability against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting offers more variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away beneath constant use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and thoughtful consideration for every step of the process. Executing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can deliver stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Bridgewater, VA and choose the right one matching your needs and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.